Bill Granger's Coconut and Passionfruit Slice Recipe
(Recipe adapted from Bill Granger's Sydney Food)
125 g (4 oz) butter
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 1/2 cup plain (all purpose) flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
A pinch of salt
1 cup sugar
1 cup shredded coconut
1/3 cup plain (all-purpose) flour
1 1 /2 cup (12 fl oz) cream
160 ml (5 1/2 fl oz) coconut milk
juice and zest of 1 lemon
1/2 cup (4 fl oz) passionfruit pulp (I used canned passionfruit because the fresh one is not in season)
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350F). To make the pastry, place butter and sugar in a bowl and beat until light and creamy. Add egg and vanilla essence and beat well.
- Add sifted flour, baking powder and salt, and stir until combined and the mixture forms a sticky dough.
- Flour hands and press pastry evenly into the base of a greased and baking paper-lined 23 x 23 cm (9 x 9 in) tin. Bake pastry base in the oven for 15 minutes.
- To make filling, place eggs and sugar in a bowl and whisk until pale. Add coconut, flour, cream, coconut milk, lemon juice, zest and passionfruit pulp, and stir to combine.
- Pour filling over pastry base in the tin. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely in the tin.
- When cool, slice into squares. Makes 20 squares.