- 3/4 cup pineapple fruit spread
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, plus 2 tsp, divided
- 2 plantains, peeled and cut into 1.5 in.chunks
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup onions, minced
- 1/2 pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1.5 in.chunks
- 4 bacon slices, cut into 1.5 in. pieces
- 8 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless, cut into 1.5 in.chunks
- On 10 inch skewers, thread chicken, bacon, pineapple and plantains, alternating ingredients. Set skewers on a tray with sides or in a glass baking dish.
- In small bowl, stir together pineapple juice, lime juice, oregano, garlic cloves and 1/2 cupvegetable oil. Pour pineapple juice mixture over skewers, turning to coat all sides thoroughly. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, and up to 24 hours, turning skewers occasionally. Before cooking chicken, prepare pineapple dipping sauce.
- In medium bowl, stir together 2 tsp vegetable oil; 1 cup large onion, minced; 3/4 cup pineapple fruit spread and remaining marinade. Boil as instructed before serving.
- Prepare grill. When coals are hot, lift skewers out of marinade and brush lightly with vegetable oil. Grill over medium-hot coals for about 20 minutes, turning often. Stir remaining marinade into sauce. Boil sauce over hot stove, stirring often, for 4 minutes.
- Serve skewers hot, passing pineapple dipping sauce separately.