4 cups cooked chicken, shredded - I use 2-3 chicken breasts, roasted; cube if you prefer
1 cup pecans, chopped - I pound them into "chopped" size
1-2 ribs celery, chopped
1 medium shallot, minced - or chopped, as you prefer. You can substitute onion if you HAVE to.
3/4-1 cup dried cranberries - don't use more than 1 cup even if you love craisins. add more at the end if you need to. Ever adaptable, you can of course substitute raisins or chopped dried cherries if you prefer.
1/3 cup light mayonnaise
1/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt - or lowfat greek yogurt, doesn't matter
2-3 tbsp. red wine vinegar - I like the bite of vinegar, so i use 3. If you don't, use only 2.
1/2 tsp. salt, or to taste
1/2 tsp. pepper, or to taste
2 tbsp. minced flat-leaf parsley, optional - really I just grabbed off some leaves and chopped them up.
- Combine all dry ingredients in large mixing bowl. Toss.
- Combine wet ingredients for dressing in second bowl or measring cup. Mix well.
- Pour wet into dry. It will look like there isn't enough, but there is. Mix well using a rubber spatula.
- Add in parsley, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir gently to combine
- Transfer to an air-tight container and refrigerate for 30 minutes or more to allow flavors to meld.
- Serve as a sandwich with lettuce or romain on the roll, or top a regular salad of greens with about 1 cup of the chicken salad.
For original Recipe:
Photo above & Original Recipe from: http://annies-eats.com/2009/07/15/cranberry-pecan-chicken-salad/