I saw this episode of Giada at Home while at a friedns and just knew I had to find this recipe - my boyfriend LOATHES mashed potatoes, but somehow, baked potatoes are okay. Time to try a compromise.
- 2 pounds baby or fingerling potatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus extra as needed
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 lemons, zested
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the potatoes: Put the potatoes in an 8-quart stockpot with enough cold water to cover by at least 2 inches. Bring the water to a boil over medium heat and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Drain the potatoes in a colander and allow to dry for 5 minutes. Using the palm of your hand, gently press the potatoes until lightly smashed.
- In a large, nonstick skillet, heat 1/4 cup of oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant and lightly brown, about 1 minute. Remove the garlic and discard. In batches, add the potatoes and cook, without stirring, until the bottoms turn golden brown, about 5 to 8 minutes. Using a spatula, turn the potatoes over and cook, drizzling with oil, if needed, until golden brown on the other side for another 5 to 8 minutes.
- For the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, parsley, thyme, and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Spoon the dressing over the potatoes and toss gently until coated. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Transfer the potatoes to a serving bowl and serve.