1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp rice vinegar
5 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
1 tbsp peeled and chopped fresh ginger
1 tbsp chili powder
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 lbs tri-tip steaks
- In a large glass bowl or container, whisk together brown sugar, molasses, soy sauce, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger, chili powder and freshly ground black pepper until the sugar is dissolved.
- Place tri-tip steaks in the marinade and turn until completely coated. Let marinate for about 1 hour, covered, turning the steak occasionally.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat and brush with canola oil.
- Place the steaks on the grill (do not discard the marinade) and cook until desired degree of doneness is reached, about 5 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the steaks. Remove steak from the grill and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.
- Transfer the marinade and any juices collected from the cooked steaks to a small saucepan. Bring to a low boil and let cook for about 10 minutes. Serve with the steak.
Recipe from: http://www.cookincanuck.com/2011/05/grilled-tri-tip-steak-with-molasses-chili-marinade-recipe/